Asthma is a disease or disorder relevant to the lungs under which the patient or the sufferer experiences problem or difficulty in breathing. Infections in the lungs and the respiratory system are mainly responsible for causing asthma. There is inflammation in the lining of the lungs as well as the entire respiratory system. Due to malfunctioning of the lungs, the respiratory tract is blocked or obstructed which in turn creates problems in breathing. Consequently, the patient may suffer from frequent attacks of asthma. There may be acute or chronic asthma. Some of the common triggers of asthma include pollutants, allergens, and change in weather condition, use of certain medicines or presence of sulphites in food. Since asthma is associated with the respiratory system and the lungs therefore it is quite important to pay attention to some points as far as diet, lifestyle and habits of a person is concerned.
Important tips for asthma patients
- You must avoid allergens, pollutants, and other types of microbes that may trigger asthma attacks or aggravate the condition.
- Pay attention to your diet as you must take healthy and well-balanced diet that has all the essential nutrients including vitamins C and E, magnesium and selenium beta-carotene. All these help in improving the functions of the lungs as well as the immune system. Fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with these nutrients and hence these must be essentially consumed on regular basis.
- People suffering from asthma must avoid or limit intake of milk and dairy products in case the condition becomes worse upon intake of the same. It is because some people are allergic to milk proteins and lactose which are both presence in abundance in milk. In case, there are no such problems then milk products need not be avoided.
- Certain herbs and spices such as ginger, turmeric, sage, rosemary, oregano etc. have a positive effect on the functions of the lungs and the respiratory system. Therefore these may be used while cooking.
- Asthma patients should avoid processed and packaged foods at all costs. It is because artificial food additives and preservatives present in these foods tend to aggravate the condition by triggering asthma attacks.
Home remedies for asthma patients
- Various home remedies may be used to reduce and prevent the occurrence of asthma attacks. At the same time, these help in offering relief from the signs and symptoms of asthma. Have a look.
- You may take ginger tea to reduce the inflammation in the respiratory pathways which in turn soothe down the irritation in the airways and hence aid in easy breathing. Raw ginger may also be consumed along with salt. Heat mustard oil by adding camphor to it and use the same to massage your chest and upper part of back. It helps in clearing the respiratory pathways and hence retains normal breathing.
- Soak some figs in water and keep it there for an overnight and then eat the soaked figs in the morning. The water to which figs have been soaked must also be drunk on an empty stomach in the morning. It helps in removal of phlegm from the lungs and the respiratory system.